Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Please don't send your kids to hostels

I was left in hostel from my first standard. I had spent 16 years (12 years in school and 4 years in college) in hostels. All those years I was asked to do just one thing. Focus on my studies, and don't worry about 'anything' else. I was seasoned enough to focus on what do I do, without worrying about anything else.

I got decent scores in schools and colleges, got a campus placement in acceptably a good company, worked hard, moved on to another awesome place to work (you know I could focus on my work without worrying about anything else).

So far so good. For the first time I left the country on work to London, and didn't bother to call my family back for an month. Didn't shared my contact details with them, just simply I didn't bother about it, but just my work. I called them only after I got emails from my worried friend that my family is really worried about  not being able to reach me.

Empathy, that was what I was missing. I could never put my foot on others shoes and think, I just had time for things in front of me and not for anything else.

I got married, my lack of empathy amplified the complications in my life. My poor wife (and poor me) had real tough time, I never got to see the world from her end.

It was just the beginning, then on I had live with my border family, my nuclear family, my wife's family. For the first time in my life I had to live in family. All in a sudden the expectation on me changed. Over the years, since I really suck at striking a personal discussion, talking tough things, reacting right, being empathetic and finally loosen up myself from being a 'MAN' always. I have complicated things and did enough relational damages.

If you are growing your kids to be good money making machines, get them into hostels. But if you want to equip them with essential living skills, which they need to posses to handle the hours of personal life (except those money making 8 hours) on a daily basis, better keep them with you and teach them the a good family life by living one in front of them.

Muse this for an another second before you gonna to ...

3 comments:

  1. Well written. The one thing I have found in hostel living people is being kiddish. But then, not all hostels gives u that environment !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well expressed I must say... hostel Life also teaches some lessons quite early in your life. ;)

    ReplyDelete